Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mya's Story...Part II

So my baby girl was born at 4:57pm, weighing 6 pounds, 18.5 inches long, and as perfect as can be. Just when she was placed on my chest for some bonding time, the house physician strolled in...looking a little frantic. He told us he was across the street, and he ran through the parking lot as fast as he could, but not quite fast enough it seemed. He missed the most important part, but showed up just in time to collect cord blood, and to give me a quick check over. At this point, we were all doing well, and didn't even really care to see a doctor - We (myself, Cyle, Linda, my mom and miss Mya) had done the hard part...which wasn't so hard....and we joked about getting the doctor's pay for the delivery! I still wonder how that works - Linda should definitely get a bonus for that day! Once I was all cleaned up, everyone had taken a few deep breaths, and a sense of calm came back to the room, in walked the lovely Dr. Starck! She was in traffic, on the way to the hospital, and just didn't get there fast enough. She was elated that everything went so well, but also a bit bummed that she missed it. She's 2-for-2 in missing my children's births! But I love her, and wouldn't give her up! She said I looked great, and the baby was adorable, then off she went! More business to tend to. We waited about an hour, with Mya resting on my chest doing what they now call "Kangaroo Care," - that initial bonding time, skin-to-skin, then we finally weighed and measured her. About an hour later, Linda wheeled us upstairs to the post-partum unit. It was there that Linda gave me a big hug, and told me that she was so glad that her first delivery, in nearly 19 years of her career, went so well, and was with "such a wonderful family." She told Cyle and I that she was really thankful to have taken care of us that day...and I quickly returned the thanks to her. We'll never forget her - Mya was a lucky girl that day!
Cyle and I spent the rest of that night just loving on our new baby girl. I was feeling fine, no pain at all, getting up on my own (already wanting to go home to our house with our newest bundle...but I knew that wasn't possible). Aunt BB came to visit - she couldn't wait to meet her niece! Then daddy went home to get a good night's sleep - Cayden was staying the night at Meme's. I snuggled with Mya alone until about 12:30am, then let her spend the night in the nursery - so we could both get some well-deserved sleep. I promptly trotted to the nursery at 6am to pick her up the next morning - I already missed her tons! Cyle headed back to the hospital around 8am, we ate breakfast together, then he bonded with her while Mama showered! Mya was seen by the pediatrician, and we were told that everything checked out perfectly! Now we waited. 10am. Visiting hour for siblings! Meme and Papa were bringing Cayden to meet Mya, and I couldn't wait to see how it would go! I heard him talking in the hallway, and went out to greet him first!
He was really happy to see me...

and to see Daddy!
He walked into the room and saw the baby in the bassinet....and yelled MYA!! Right then, he knew it was her. He wanted to see her, he wanted to hold her all by himself...it was like he had always known her...it was perfect.
We left the hospital that evening around 6:30pm. Not bad! Just over 24 hours after having her - I figured we were all feeling just fine, let's do this at home! We headed to Meme's to pick Cayden up, then went home...to our new life. As a family of 4. Love it!

1 comment:

Roxi's Reasons... said...

What a beautiful little family !!!