Monday, July 28, 2008

7/23/2008 --- 4 days old, and the treatment begins...

Just as we had learned at our 19 week ultrasound, Cayden was in fact born with bilateral club foot. We had met with Dr. Ballock, the orthopaedic doctor who specializes in the treatment of children with club foot, when I was 37 weeks pregnant. At that point we had done a lot of research, and just wanted to meet him before Cayden was born to get a handle on what exactly the treatment would consist of, and when it would all begin. Well today was the day. 4 days old, and my poor little man has two casts that go from his tiny little toes to his diaper! The appointment was quick, but traumatic!! And when I say traumatic, i mean for me, not Cayden. He took it like a champ, while mama hovered over him, crying like a baby! I couldn't keep it together! For those of you who can't quite imagine it, I'll tell you that it is NOT easy to see your 4 day old, tiny little peanut, being manipulated and put in CASTS! I was a wreck. Needless to say, he's getting along just fine, no sign of discomfort at all after the initial process of putting the casts on. He's definitely handling it better than I am at this point! I just keep telling myself that this is for the best, and he'll never remember a single bit of it - he'll be walking with the rest of them soon enough!

Anyway...I've decided to keep you updated, week-to-week, as new casts are put on - to keep track of progress!
Okay, this one is random...But I absolutely love it so I had to
throw it in here somewhere! After the first bath...

Here we go...These next few are pre-intervention. No matter what anyone says, they were still perfect in our eyes...I'm actually gonna miss these little guys!

I have a feeling he spent a lot of his time like this inside...all cuddled up.

Alright, here it is. It looks worse than it is. Doesn't seem to bother him a bit, just adds a little weight! This process is the only thing they still use real plaster casts for (not the light-weight fiberglass). He's strong though, still throws those bad boys around!

That's it for now, check back next week to see how he progresses! ....The journey begins...

1 comment:

Katypie said...

Oh Bridgie, he's adorable! He's gonna be an athletic little guy, just like his Papa! :0) Can't wait to see him!!