Saturday, February 26, 2011

It's Coming Up!


In the past few weeks, I've really been thinking a lot about Cayden's OI. This is probably because I just scheduled our 1 year return visit to Shriner's in Montreal for July 5th, and that Cayden's 1 year, "break-free" anniversary is quickly approaching! At first I didn't want to bring much attention to the fact that he's approaching 1 year without a break, I didn't want to jinx him or anything, but with more thought I've decided I really want to celebrate it. And I will celebrate every year that he goes without breaking, if it happens in the future. I want to have a "Break-Free" celebration. And I look at this in two ways....yes, Cayden has been "Break-Free" for this period of time, and that is awesome! But also that we can "Break Free" of the thoughts and fears that this will absolutely consume his life, and define him. Because it won't. Of course it will be something that he, and we as a family, will deal with for the rest of his life, but it will not consume us. We live everyday cautiously and concerned, but I'd love a day to celebrate how far we've come. So we will celebrate. God-willing, our 1 year, "Break-Free" this year will be on March 16th!
I have also been receiving emails from the Yahoo online 'parents of children with OI' support group. There are really some amazing stories of some phenomenal children out there living with OI. Every case is different - different types, different severity- but one thing seems to remain a constant in all of the stories I've read. The hearts, personalities and determination of this children are amazing. And my Cayden is no different. And I love him for that.
I came across some information that I didn't know existed in the last 2 years. There is actually an international awareness day for OI! And you can be sure that I'll be celebrating that one too on a yearly basis!! (Looks like I'll be doing lots of celebrating with my special little guy over the years!)
It's known as "Wishbone Day"- even the name makes me smile :-)
Celebrate with me on May 6th, 2011
Wear Yellow, and think about or read about someone special with OI that day...because they can do anything they set their minds to do, even if some people say that they can't!
This is a great video of kids with OI, beating the odds, and doing what kids do! :-)




4 comments:

Diana Lesjak said...

We will surely be celebrating the one year mark and WISHBONE Day on Ma 6th with you!! I love that the video features a song that Cayden has been singing for a while now... he loves it! Was that little Sonya in the video? Thanks for the info Bridget!! Love you all!

The Colorado Lesjak's said...

YAY!!!! SO EXCITING! WE WILL CELEBRATE IN CO TOO!! XOXO

Melissa Swartley said...

AWESOME!!! I am so happy for you all! To celebrate 1 year is absolutely wonderful!!! Yep, that's Sonya standing up free style without holding on to anything for the first time! Our kids have such unbreakable spirits! They amaze me each day!

Unknown said...

YAY! I year is a big thing! How exciting. He is just as cute as cute can be!