Thursday, April 2, 2009

3 Hopes, and a Few for the Future

Monday morning, 8am, I was on the phone with Dr. Ballock's secretary setting up the earliest appointment available to get my baby's leg taken care of. He had an opening at 11:20, in Beachwood. I took it. And as I was confirming that appointment, Daddy was on MapQuest getting directions to the office.
Cayden had a decent night. I was surprised to find that he wasn't up all night screaming in pain as we thought he might be. Instead, it was me that couldn't sleep. I checked on him at least every hour after putting him down to sleep, each time he'd awake and simply look up at me, not crying but just whimpering for a moment, then close his eyes and fall back asleep. After a few hours of this, Daddy and I decided we'd try to get some sleep while he slept - we had another big day in the morning. Cyle was able to sleep, off and on, for the remainder of the night. I, however, lasted only minutes. Every time I tried to close my eyes, the image of my baby's leg twisting like it did flooded my eyes and my head. It made my heart hurt. So I spent most of the night on the couch, and checking on my sweet boy...
Morning came, Cayden got a dose of his medication to ease the pain before heading to Dr. Ballock's office. I sat in the back of the car next to him on the way; he held onto my finger the entire way, looking up at me with his "Mama, what's going on?" sad eyes.
Cyle and I had 3 hopes for today...
  • We hope that no surgery is needed to repair this fracture...no pins, no needles, no added pain.
  • We hope that this injury does not set back all of the progress he's made with his feet.
  • We hope (well, Mama hopes) he will be able to get a waterproof cast so he can still enjoy the water in Florida next week!

We arrived and met with Dr. Ballock, Cayden cried when the splint was removed. Dr. Ballock looked over the x-rays, then placed a cast on his leg, from toes to diaper (just like the good 'ol days!...not quite.) The good news? The two most important of our 3 hopes were answered.

No surgery: the thought is that this will even be healed up in a matter of 3 weeks!

Cayden's feet are doing so well that the healing time for this injury should not set back his progress at all!

Unfortunately, no waterproof cast. Because of the length of the cast, Dr. Ballock didn't think it would be the best idea - long leg casts don't drain and dry well once wet. But if that's the worst news of the day?!...we'll take it! There will be so much more fun to be had in Florida, he won't miss a thing!

So that's that. Cayden is in another cast, for another 3 weeks. Since then, he's had his good moments and his bad. The poor boy has been through so much. I swear, this kid had better be the strongest, toughest boy around when he grows up! Just think of all he's been through already! Cyle keeps reminding me that "Of course he'll be strong! Just like his Daddy!" :-) We'll get through this...the 3 of us (and all of the love and support that surrounds us!), just like we've gotten through all of the hard times in the past. One day at a time. I do, however, have a few hopes for the future...

I hope my baby is done with all the pain. I hope this only makes him stronger. I hope he never remembers all of the rough times he's been through, but cherishes all of the good. I hope he knows how much we love him. I hope this never happens again. I hope the healing time goes quickly. I hope he always continues to smile.

I hope for no more pain.

2 comments:

Diana Lesjak said...

I...HOPE...so too!!

Mua said...

we HOPE...so too! :-)