Monday, April 6, 2009

It's Been a Not So Good Week! :-(

Sorry, I know I've left you hanging for a week...But I sure have been busy! Worked 3 nights in a row (which takes a lot out of me on a normal basis) and on top of that, have been back and forth to Beachwood and Strongsville more times in one week than I could have imagined! Dr. Ballock, we love you, but honestly...I'd be fine not seeing you for awhile!

Here's the run-down on our sad and eventful week:
  • Monday: Cyle took off work. Had an appointment to get a cast for Cayden. Arrived in Beachwood at 11am to get that done. Cayden cried and cried and cried. Sad day.
  • Tuesday: Cayden cried some more. Still uncomfortable (with good reason). Tylenol with Codeine every 8 hours, with doses of Motrin in between to decrease swelling. More crying, not much sleep. Sad day!
  • Wednesday: Things seem to be improving slightly! Cayden is less upset, less irritable, and actually moving his leg for the first time since his accident! He even rolled over on his own today, cast and all! Happy day!
  • Thursday: Sad day. Went to Meme's house to sleep for a bit after work...Cayden pulled a fast move at some point and began to wiggle his leg right out of the cast! What a PUNK! All of his moving and grooving (now that he was actually feeling a little better!) and his toes began to disappear into the cast! So right away I was on the phone with Dr. Ballock's secretary, then his good nurse Sam called me right back. I had a half hour to rush him to Strongsville to get a new cast put on (it was 4:00pm and the cast tech was leaving at 4:30!). We made it. Dr. Ballock was downtown that day and couldn't be there, but instructed the tech on just what to do. So it was replaced...Cayden cried...a lot. Bad day.
  • Friday: Home to Meme's after my 3rd night in a row...to find that my Little Houdini had done it YET AGAIN! This kid is giving me a run for my money!! His toes had once again been pulled into the casted abyss! Once again I was one the phone with the secretary (who now knows us by name), she told me "hold on, dear" then immediately Dr. Ballock was on the phone! He said he could fit us in between surgeries at his Beachwood office this afternoon (but he didn't know what he was gonna do to make this work!). He told me that Cayden was the most trouble he's had with patients getting out of their casts in his whole history of working! My little angel! So we went, cast was removed. Cayden's ankle was absolutely bruised and swollen from rubbing against the inside of the cast. He cried. And Cried. Terrible Pain! Thank god Meme was there with me this time because honestly, this is draining me emotionally! (Thanks again, Meme!). This time, he was put into a splint - where the under side is plaster, the top is just padding and ace wrapped to prevent further injury to the ankle. My poor buddy! :-( Sad, sad day.
  • Saturday: Dr. Ballock gave me his home and cell phone numbers yesterday, to call if we had more trouble this weekend. I did not want to have to call him! I really didn't! But I had to...he started to do it again. So I spoke with the doctor, who said it would be okay, but if he pulled it much more than he already had, to re-wrap it myself. I've seen these splints put on children at work about a million times...so I knew what I was doing. But I didn't want to have to do it. Inevitably, just before bedtime I had to re-wrap it (with Daddy's help of course!). It was an okay day.
  • Sunday: No movement from where it was last night when I wrapped it!! Yay! We spent the day outside - Cayden and I took a walk to the pond and watched Daddy fish for a few hours. It was so nice. Dr. Ballock actually called me today, "Just to check up!" So nice...to be thinking of poor little us on his weekend. He's been good to us!

The plan: Figure out something that works for this poor kid for longer than a day!! We're going in to see Dr. Ballock again Monday to try one last thing! We've gotta get this right before we leave for Florida on Wednesday! He said he'd hate to have to go in and stabilize the fracture with pins just because he won't leave a stinkin' cast on! And boy do I agree! 2 splints and 2 casts in 1 week is not a very good track record! Keep your fingers crossed that this last attempt works!! And pray for sanity and lots of patience for Cyle and I!!

No comments: